Our first book club book was Disengaged by Beth Orsoff.
1. Did you like the book? Why/why not?
I did like the book! It was a fun read that had likable characters (mostly) and would be the kind of romantic comedy that I'd likely watch in movie format. I really enjoyed the airport exchange between Alison and Michael. It had me briefly guessing if the author was going to go in a direction that I hadn't anticipated.
2. Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to them/ do they remind you of people you know?
The characters do seem fairly real. I can relate to Alison - it would be strange not to have a little conflict while planning a wedding & possibly second guess decisions that you're making. Claire, Brittney, Jax and Michael are also real, believable characters. Sylvia and Brad had a relationship that I can see in mother/son combos that I know. I mean, a lot of moms are controlling... but not many to that extent. I would hope that I don't know anybody in real life that defiles a blow up doll the way Brad does. Or at least, I hope I never find out about it!
3. Is the ending satisfying? If so, why? If not, why not...and how would you change it?
I was happy with the ending. It was what I had been rooting for since the beginning! However, I do with that more detail had been given and it felt slightly less rushed.
4. If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask?
I would like to know where the inspiration for the book came from and if any of the characters were modeled after people she knows in real life.
5. How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? If so, how/why?
I don't really think that the characters change per se, but it does take a while to see all the facets of their personalities.
What do you think about Disengaged? Link up* and share!
* I'm trying a different linky tool that what I use for Tuesdays At The Table, any feedback on it is appreciated!